The Morningstar ProStar Charge Controller series is a sophisticated line of PV charge controls that incorporate constant voltage PWM to make maximum use of valuable PV power.
They have automatic equalization, temperature compensation and very high efficiency. The PS-15 and PS-30 are designed for use on 12 volt and 24 volt systems. The Prostar PS-15M-48V is designed for use with 48V systems. All ProStar charge controllers will accommodate sealed, gel and wet-cell lead-acid batteries. Front panel LED's indicate when the batteries are being charged and relative battery state-of-charge. Reliable reverse polarity protection on input and output is important and included. In the event of a load short circuit, the load is automatically disconnected. Low voltage disconnect (LVD) is current-compensated to prevent false disconnect when the battery is heavily loaded. Units are conformal coated to guard against corrosion. Dimensions: 6.01” x 4.14” x 2.2”. 5 year warranty.
• Digital meter
– Highly accurate voltage and current display
– Low self-consumption (1 mA)
– Includes manual disconnect button
– Displays 5 different protection functions and disconnect conditions
– Self-diagnostics (self-test) provides a comprehensive test of the ProStar
– Displays 9 different controller status parameters, including temperature
– Displays detected faults
• Positive ground
• Remote temperature probe
Features of the 2nd Generation ProStar
It is almost impossible to "kill" the Morningstar ProStar due to large design margins and electronic protections.
- No need to derate...use up to full "nameplate" ratings
- Rated for operating temperatures from -30°C to +60°C
- Short-circuit, overload and reverse polarity protected...with automatic electronic recovery
The LEDs indicate various battery and system status. The meter option now displays extensive data:
- Accurate readings of PV current, load current, and system voltage
- LVD and other disconnect conditions
- Self-test mode which displays 9 different controller status parameters and any detected faults (makes it very easy to troubleshoot)
Longer Battery Life
The ProStar’s constant voltage PWM regulation now uses 4 stages of charging including float charging. Battery type selections are made via rotary switch and include gel, sealed or flooded.
- Tropicalizaton - All ProStars now include conformal coating, stainless-steel screws and an anodized aluminum heat sink (protection for marine and jungle environments).
- 48V and Positive Ground - New versions of the ProStar also include 15A at 48V (negative and positive ground) and a 30A at 12/24V for positive grounded systems.
- Low Telecom Noise - The new ProStar has been designed for reduced interference during PWM regulation. The regulation frequency may be further reduced in the field.
- Remote Temperature Probe - The ProStar now has an optional remote temperature probe for sites where the controller and battery experience different temperatures.
By using highly advanced technology, this second generation ProStar sets new standards for reliability and self-diagnostics. The new ProStar also provides several unique features and protections. And Morningstar's patented PWM battery charging has been further optimized for longer battery life and improved system performance.
The new ProStar is available in 15 or 30 amps, 12/24 or 48 volt, and negative or positive ground. The controller may be paralleled for a solar input rating of up to 300 amps. An optional meter provides an extensive display of self-testing and system status.
Expected failure rate will be less than 1 per 1,000 units over 5 years. Improved protections and added many new protections:
- Power MOSFET voltage rating increased 25%
- Eliminated all trim-pots and other troublesome parts
- Reduced the digital meter components from 75 to 16
- Increased the current-carrying copper traces by 75%
- Increased temperature rating of many parts
- Made conformal coating protection standard
Expanded the battery charging options and capabilities.
- Added a third battery type selection (gel, sealed, flooded)
- Added a "float" stage to the battery charging algorithm
- Expanded the to account for depth of discharge history
- Added a remote temperature probe option
- Improved the accuracy of all charging parameters
- Moved the built-in temperature sensor to read ambient conditions more accurately
Installation & Operation
The new ProStar is easier and safer to install and use, with more operating information provided to the user.
- Self-diagnostic test provides assurance the controller is working correctly, or indicates a fault that is present
- Rotary switch provides simple and positive selection of battery type (and LED's confirm the selection)
- Terminals are longer with more screw threads, screwdriver holes in the case are larger, and plastic tabs isolate the terminals
- The pushbutton disconnects the load first (for weekend cabins, boats, etc.), then disconnects the solar if held down for 2 seconds (indicated in the meter)
- Five protection functions are displayed in the digital meter
- Meter indicates "OFF" if solar or load is disconnected
- PWM is indicated in the green battery status LED (blinking)
- A telecom jumper eliminates PWM noise if present
- Mounting standoffs prevent stress cracks in the case
Protection against abuse and faults is now comprehensive.
- Added solar short circuit and overload protection / auto recovery
- Added load overload protection / auto recovery
- Improved load short circuit protection / auto recovery
- Improved protection of the load from voltage spikes
- Improved low battery voltage and brownout protection / auto recovery
- Other existing protections have been improved
Accuracy Precision design
Improved performance and accurate meter display.
- Added 0.1% resistors and other precision components
- Upgraded to a more powerful, faster microcontroller with better resolution
- Extensive digital filtering for improved accuracy
- Added 2 precision shunts for very accurate current measurement
- Calibration of the microcontroller during final QA testing in production
Optional Internal or External Digital Meter Display
Completely redesigned, improved and expanded the digital meter.
- Meter reads values directly from the microcontroller
- Very accurate voltage and current values measured and displayed
- Added self-test with specific faults and conditions displayed
- More status and protection conditions are displayed
- Reduced self-consumption to 1 mA
- Current is now measured in the ungrounded leg only
- Meter connector is more robust and easier to attach
- Any meter can now be mounted to any ProStar with no calibration required